Why I like Rift
Rift is the new MMORPG from Trion. I will make this simple. I like Rift. Here are some things I like:
- There are many combinations of souls. Each calling [Warrior, Rogue, Mage, Cleric] has a choice of 8 soul trees to selct from [9 with PvP]. Three soul trees are selected to create your character’s abilities. Each level one point is given to use in the soul tree that enhances and ability. Use enough points in a soul tree and higher abilities are unlocked. But wait there’s more! Every 3 levels [level / 3] the character will get an extra point to use. The limit of points to use in a tree is based on the chracters level. Simply, at level 20 a chracter can only use 10 points in a given soul tree.
- Buy up to four extra roles. A role is like melee dps [damage per second], ranged dps, heal, support, or tank. As explained in #1 above a role will consist of a combination of 3 soul trees. By buying up to four extra roles a character can easily switch between healing and tanking.
- I can heal as a Rogue?! You sure can. Rift soul trees generally have at least one heal/ support and tank soul to choose to build a role. It is not uncommon for a Rogue to switch between healing/ support of Bard to tank of Riftstalker soul. Want a heal/ ranged dps/ pet class? Yah, Rogue can do that.
- Authentication and Key Locking are your best friends. Almost as soon as Rift hit the streets there was some Gold farmer barking platinum deals. Nearly as quickly, folks had their accounts hacked. There is some blame on naughty addons but regardless it was evident account security was immediately an issue. Key Locking was introduced to help combat accounts at risk. If your account is hacked someone is logging in at another computer. Key Locking detects this and does not allow the sale or purchase of items or movement of gold. This can be a bit annoying if you play on a laptop then login on your desktop as this will key lock you. Which brings us to the Rift Authenticator. I nice little app for your phone or as a dongle which creates a random integer you use as part of login. In essence, saying “Hey, its me [really].”
- Crafting and gathering are done well. In Rift a character can combine three different gathering and crafting professions. For example agreat combination is Outfitting [make leather and cloth items/ armor], Butchering [skinning], and Runecrafting [enchanting item enchancement]. This combonation allows for full gathering required by Outfitting which can be decronstructed to parts for Runecrafting. Basically, self sufficient crafter. Ther are also some excellent daily quests for crafters that give experience, noteriety, as well as some rare parts needed.
- Oh man, I’m dead again. But that’s okay. When you die you are returned as a ghost to the nearest resurrection [rez] point. You can choose to rez at the rez point or run back to the lifeless body. Evertime you rez you lose 10% soul which diminishes the characters effectiveness. It takes quite a few deaths to really effect the character. There are healers that can heal your soul for some gold and you are off and running again. If you rez at the rez point the character is immediately diminsihed for 5 minutes and is probably a good time to soul heal and reflect. So, the reason we like this is downtime is minimal and without huge cost.
- Downtime has been minimal for a new MMO release. Seriously, Rift downtime is nowhere near other MMO downtimes for version 1 launch. Not to say they don’t have issues but 15-30 minutes versus 4-6 hours [Hi, WoW v4+] is commendable.
Rift is one to watch and play. But don’t take my word for it give it a try by playing the free trial!
Note: this post is not an advertisement nor affiliated with Trion
No comments yet.